Amazon Search for Book/CD/DVD Pedia

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
vodkariots
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Amazon Search for Book/CD/DVD Pedia

Post by vodkariots »

Thank you for the help, it’s working again.
Kernos
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Kernos »

Conor wrote:
doing now a lot more queries on amazon
Luckily, the limits are per IP as the service was originally intended for apps, before the rise of the web apps.
So if I use a VPN which changes my IP to one of several, will that mess Amazon up again?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

if I use a VPN which changes my IP to one of several, will that mess Amazon up again?
Should be fine, on the contrary gives yo higher limits as your IP changes. But the Pedias self limit anyway to stay within the requested limits.
kurunta
Inductee
Inductee

Post by kurunta »

Thanks Conor, works perfectly.
Rodney
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by Rodney »

Conor, thanks for posting the fix. I was wondering why my Amazon searches suddenly were not working.
ComicFan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ComicFan »

Is the fix also available for the Mac-Version of Bookpedia? I tried to find the entry "Amazon Test" but without success...
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Should be in the Mac App Store version as well.

Remember to hold down the option key before clicking the Help menu.
ComicFan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ComicFan »

Must have been blind - found it now. Thanks for your fast reply!
Midori
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Midori »

Works for me but don't forget to quit / reopen your app... :)
sbrioux
Inductee
Inductee

Post by sbrioux »

Hello,
I have the same troubles with Amazon. I have all the numbers (after 2 hours of hard work :? )but an error message.
I have a mac and though I press option (alt?) key, the Amazon test does not appear (I am in France) either.
What can I do to use my favourite app again and would it be possible one day to have access to the French Amazon?
Thanks,
Stéphane.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Be sure to press alt (option) key before clicking on the Help menu. If that does not work, be sure to have the latest version 5.5.2.
Lodovico
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Lodovico »

Thanks for this fix, Conor. I hope Amazon are cool with the workaround. :)

Oddly, my Amazon Associate credentials that I set up 4 years ago are still working with DVDpedia on my iMac. It's only when I've been installing the app on my MacBook Pro and reentering the Amazon credentials that I get an error message. The error message is telling me that my Access Key is not set up as an Associate ID, suggesting that DVDpedia may be mixing up the fields when it submits the form to Amazon.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

I'll take a look, but normally that error message just means that you have to visit the URL in the error message and login with your amazon AWS login, to link the associate key with the AWS key. Not sure why Amazon separated both, the associate service should be part of the AWS, but it's likely due to it preceding the service and the fact that you can get paid with the associate service and hence likely a different account for tax reasons at Amazon per jurisdiction.
vjl
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by vjl »

This hit me just now, right in the middle of adding more books to my inventory [over 42k!]. But I'm using the old 4.6.8 version under MacOS X 10.6.8. Yeah, yeah, upgrading is in my future [it was supposed to be this spring, but i had an unexpected health issue which kept me occupied].

The 'option click' feature does reveal more menu items in the Help menu, but not the "Amazon test" item. Is there a command line trick to enable this?

Console reports:

7/14/17 12:52:14 PM Bookpedia[16165] Amazon Search Error: AWS.InvalidAssociate = Your AKIAJO46XE7WUM2BEDTA is not registered as an Amazon Associate. Please register as an associate at https://affiliate-program.amazon.com/gp ... /main.html.

Help? :)

Thanks in advance!
sjnadel
Inductee
Inductee

Post by sjnadel »

My suggestion- you should send out a general email to all users with an update on this. For the last week or so I've been having problems adding items to Bookpedia and DVDpedia. Could not figure out why suddenly my searches to add new items were universally failing or having extreme difficulty finding items. Very frustrating.

Finally checked my preferences and from the responses to Amazon button realized Amazon searches no longer working. On first search of forum, went back to try to re=check/re-register my Amazon Associate accounts and found message from Amazon that my account had been closed. Rechecking forum, saw the work around of option-clicking the help button and selecting Amazon test.

That appears to have solved the problem, at least for now.

WOuld have been far easier to have known their were some interface or other problems causing this issue and having the work around directly