Bookpedia working very slowly

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
dexham
Contributor
Contributor

Bookpedia working very slowly

Post by dexham »

I have now entered just under 4000 books into Bookpedia. It does now seem to take a consideable time to carry out certain taks. For example, searching by author can take well over 20 seconds, and when entering a new book there can be fairly long wait after 'ADD' is pressed.

Is this expected? If not, is there anything that can be done? I have rebuilt the database, without noticing any signifiant improvement in speed.

I am running Bookpedia on a 867 Mhz PowerPC G4 machine running OS X 10.4.4.

Thanks
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

With as many entries as you have, certain features will get slower, yes. However, the internet search should be the same speed - that doesn't have anything to do with the size of the database.
Rebuilding the database on a regular basis is a good idea, not just for speed reasons but also to get an automatic backup of the info.xml file, the data file for Bookpedia.
We're working on improving the speed of the Pedias with every update so hopefully in the future this will become less of an issue.

Nora
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

The biggest bottleneck for any application is the sorting and finding. For sorting in future versions you will be able to move some of the entries out of the library into separate independent collections. This means you will be able to break up the 4000 books into more manageable groups for sorting. Another possibility is not to sort your main library. For the find refine the find using the magnifying glass pull down menu. If you know what your searching for is only in the columns shown, don't use search all fields as that would mean more fields to search. As Nora mentioned we are always making improvements.