DVDPedia and Blu-Ray/HD-DVD

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
markcapp

DVDPedia and Blu-Ray/HD-DVD

Post by markcapp »

I'm surprised that there doesn't seem to be a field that will indicate whether or not a title is on standard DVD (or VHS or Laserdisc for that matter-- I have both!) or on Blu-Ray or HD-DVD (yes, I have a few titles of the latter as well). It would make sorting significantly easier and would give us a better idea of how our collections break down by format. The "Video Format" column -- between NTSC and PAL -- is much less useful to most DVD buyers today than one where it would automatically spell out whether something was a standard DVD, Blu-Ray disc, or HD-DVD and could be categorized (still alphabetically) as such. I'm new to the "Pedia" world, so if there's a setting for this that I'm not aware of, I apologize, but this seems like an odd omission to me.
Nanook
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: DVDPedia and Blu-Ray/HD-DVD

Post by Nanook »

No apologies necessary. It's the "Media" field.
markcapp

Post by markcapp »

Thanks! That's not very apparent. I'll have to do some digging, I'm sure, before I get the hang of this. Is there any support for laserdiscs at all?
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

Nanook wrote:It's the "Media" field.
Ahh, yet another field that's not populated by Amazon or IMDb lookups so it's purpose isn't necessarily clear. :)

Seriously, some documentation of the purpose of different fields and whether or not their values are candidates for being automatically populated would be useful. There are probably a few empty fields I'd like to use (e.g. Media) instead of using custom fields/values if I know they won't be auto-populated.

Also, I've been looking for easier ways to temporarily view different fields/values for multiple entries. Adding/removing columns to the list view, especially with several regular/smart collections, has been tedious. More generally, I'd like to search/filter/view metadata and values to simply finding entries of interest on-the-fly. I'll post some specific ideas in another thread after after I've thought them through more clearly.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

yet another field that's not populated by Amazon
It is filled in by Amazon, to DVD, VHS or Blu-ray. It won't automatically set itself to laser discs as we don't have a laser disc information source.
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

Conor wrote:It is filled in by Amazon, to DVD, VHS or Blu-ray.
Ahh, you're right -- my mistake. :oops:

And it also includes at least Theatrical Release.