Please Help Me!!!!

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
bgdawes
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Please Help Me!!!!

Post by bgdawes »

All I want to do is import my DVDPedia collection from my macMini to my newly purchased iMac. I love your product. Please help me out and let me know how to transfer my DVD collection from my MacMini (right now it's in T'mode) to my iMac.

I guess I should state the obvious below

1. I have an organized DVD Pedia on my mac mini
2. I have DVD Pedia installed on my new computer
3. I have a zip backup saved on the new computer
4. I can't, for some reason, copy the list of my collection to DVD Pedia.

PLEASE HELP ME I LOVE YOUR PRODUCT BUT I NEED YOUR HELP
bgdawes
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Re: Please Help Me!!!!

Post by bgdawes »

This should, in theory, be simple but I cannot figure out how to do this. All I want is my DVDPedia library from my old Mac on to my new Mac. I've tried to figure this out for several hours now and can't solve this problem.

Please, please, please, please don't make me go back and individually import over 800 DVD's and Cover art into my collection again. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

Try restoring the {HomeFolder}/Library/Application Support/DVDpedia folder from your old system to your new one.

Realize it's the weekend so Bruji folks may not be around to help. There's no need to panic.
thajeztah
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by thajeztah »

Alternatively, you could use the 'Migration Assistant' to transfer -all- your settings -and- applications from the old to the new machine :)

(See Applications/Utilities/Migration Assistant')
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

As mentioned you can copy the data folder from one computer to the next, you should also copy the preference file to bring your preference for the program along ({HomeFolder}/Library/Preferences/com.bruji.dvdpedia.plist). Since you mention that you have a zipped backup you can unzip the backup by double clicking it, this will create a folder called "DVDpedia" place that folder in {HomeFolder}/Library/Application Support/DVDpedia. When you do either of these steps make sure DVDpedia is not running. Sorry about the late reply, we where at the beach all day yesterday.
bgdawes
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by bgdawes »

This worked great!!! I definitely apologize for the freak out. Your product is GREAT!!!

Again, definitely apologize! Thanks so much!
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

Glad you got it working.
mujianxiuxi
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mujianxiuxi »

I'm about to do the similar things, but I especially concern with the links on many entries after migration:

Now I use the bookpedia and dvdpedia on a powerbook running OSX10.4, and I want to use "migration assistant" to migrate my things, including pedia's database to a new mac run OSX10.6( :D with in a few days it will be ready, although i don't know if it's possible to migrate between 10.4 and 10.6). I added many links on the bookpedia on the old powerbook, aimed to certain documents store in one single folder in the powerbook's disk,something like (old powerbooks)

" pedia://bruji.com/loadLink=file:///Volumes/discX/xx/xxx/xxx.doc.

Now if I arrange those documents in the very same address but on the new mac, like "/Volumes/discD/xx/xxx/xxx.doc."(I will keep username the same as the old mac)

will this way grantee me to open those linked documents on the entry on that new mac, after migrate, successful?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

The links will break when you change the collection but via the SQL access to the database it's possible to update them all with a find and replace. There is more information in this forum post.

In short, make a copy of your database file in ~/Library/Application Support/Bookpedia/Database.bookpd as backup and then use the program called Terminal in your utilities folder to run the following command (one on each line followed by a return):

Code: Select all

sqlite3 ~/Library/Application\ Support/Bookpedia/Database.bookpd
update ZLINK Set ZURL = replace(ZURL, 'file:///Volumes/', 'file:///Volumes/discD/');
.exit
You would have to look at the paths and update the middle line in the above command to reflect the correct find and replace that would turn an old link into the new link. Don't worry about the "pedia://bruji.comloadlink=" that gets added by the program for the info view only to be able to load the link internally. Use the link you see under the links tab when editing a book to compare to the new link.
mujianxiuxi
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mujianxiuxi »

thanks conor. :oops: I hadn't search out that old post u point out, sorry.