FancyIndex: Seeking template feedback

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
TylerInHiFi
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Re: Seeking template feedback

Post by TylerInHiFi »

Really like this template. Any way it can be customized for movies?
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Do send us the template when it's ready and we'll put it up on our Extras page for download until the next update of the Pedias when we can include it directly in the programs. We'd also be happy to create versions for the other Pedias!
marumari
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by marumari »

Okie dokie, here is what I think is the final version for Gamepedia. It's a bit more compact now, so you can see even more listings per page.

http://www.twoevils.org/files/FancyIndex-Gamepedia.zip

I don't know exactly what format it should be (the zip file has Templates as the top level folder - not sure if it should just contain FancyIndex.html, FancyIndexDetails.html and FancyIndexImages/). If the latter is how it is supposed to be, let me know.

Please go ahead and install it locally and let me know if everything is good and then I can try to whip up something for DVDpedia next... maybe after a wee break. *exhausted* If anybody wants to take a crack at it, I have documented everything quite extensively - the HTML, CSS, and Javascript should all be pretty well written-up.

The final output is here: http://www.twoevils.org/html/mygames
marumari
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by marumari »

Found one last bug. Should be fixed now.
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Awesome work April! I've added the template for download to our Extras page: Fancy Index. Let me know if you'd like to be credited differently or want to add more details to the accompanying text.
marumari
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by marumari »

That looks great! Thanks for the shout-out. :)

Was the zip file I put up formatted the right way? Or should it have a different top-level directory? If I could access that file you put up over http, I'd be happy to format it in the same way to save you guys time.

Along those lines, how should I get updates to you, in case I need to make them?

And if you guys would be able to do the coverImageURLHeight / coverImageURLWidth request sometime in the relatively soon future, that would be super awesome. Even now - with all the hackish workaround code I have in the fi.js file - the details popup occasionally gets cut off if the image loads slowly. This is because the browser can't calculate the proper DOM height without the image completely loading and sometimes the resize workaround loads before the image does. Thanks!
Midori
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Midori »

WOW! It is even Xhtml valid! I'd be happy to have that, and are you doing it for the other pedias ?

Midori
marumari
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by marumari »

I will be, yep. :) DVDpedia is up next, I think.
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

marumari wrote:DVDpedia is up next, I think.
Sweet!
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

If I could access that file you put up over http, I'd be happy to format it in the same way to save you guys time.
The directory should look like this:

Code: Select all

Templates
          FancyIndex.html and FancyIndexDetails.html
TemplateImages
     FancyIndexImages
The Messages folder is optional but gives you a chance to include a message that displays after the install is complete, i.e. special instructions on using the template or displaying credits.

You can also see the directory 'in action' by using the 'Download' link on any of the HTML templates from the Extras page. (It's on the right side of each individual page: 'Download' and 'Download and install', you want the former.)
That'll give you the actual .pediadata_g file so you can take a look at the package contents (the letter at the end depends on the Pedia program the template is destined for, g = Gamepedia).

Game covers are special in their sizes because each console has its own ratio whereas books and DVDs usually have the same ratio. The function that calculates the ratio for export is separate so adding the coverImageURLHeight might be a bit tricky but we'll look at it. EDIT: Ignore my earlier post about the [key:coverImageURLHeight] tag being tricky to implement. Conor just included the two tags in the Gamepedia beta. :)
marumari
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: FancyIndex: Seeking template feedback

Post by marumari »

Still working on the DVDpedia template - it's a bit difficult because my HTML editing program likes to overwrite hard links >_<.

But, you can see the results of Conor's changes with the coverImageHeight and coverImageWidth tags: http://www.twoevils.org/html/mygames/

The window should be properly sized immediately, on every click. For something with a long description (try Fallout 3), you now get a scrollbar in the window, which I think is much friendlier.

As for DVDpedia, I've added one new feature: sorting by movie rating. In a normal sorting - you can see this in DVDpedia actually - movie ratings will be sorted like this:

G > NR > PG > PG-13 > R > X

This is not so bad, since the MPAA rating system is pretty alphabetical. Once you start adding in ratings like A, U, B, C, 12A, R-15 and so on... then things start to get pretty screwed up. The MPAA's "R" rating is 17+, but R-15 would get sorted after it. FancyIndex understands the movie ratings, and so here is how it sorts:

G == A == U
PG
PG-12 == 12 == 12A == B
PG-13
R-15 == 15 == B-15
R == R-18 == 18 == C
NC-17 == X
NR (not rated)
Everything else

This should cover MPAA (US), UK, Mexico, Germany, Ireland, and Japan's rating systems, at least. Let me know if you have any feedback or any ideas on what you'd like to see in the DVDpedia version. Thanks!
FrozenTrout
Contributor
Contributor

Post by FrozenTrout »

Any update? It's so awesome, I can't wait to use it with my DVDPedia lists.
marumari
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by marumari »

Funny you should mention that, actually. I just wrapped up my first go at the DVDpedia version - you can see the resulting page: http://www.twoevils.org/html/mydvds/

I also have an updated version of the Gamepedia template, and you can see its output here: http://www.twoevils.org/html/mygames/

Sorry they took so long - I had a hard drive crash (boo!, but <3 Time Machine).

I've updated them to use the newest jQuery, sped them up a good deal, added some new fields, added new links (GameFAQs, Giant Bomb, IMDb) and so on. Let me know what you think - thanks!
level.five

Post by level.five »

Hi,
i'am very impressed by the fancy index theme and i would be happy if i could give it a try. great work you've done. is there a way to choose own fields in the list and in the details view?
best level.five
marumari
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by marumari »

level.five wrote:Hi,
i'am very impressed by the fancy index theme and i would be happy if i could give it a try. great work you've done. is there a way to choose own fields in the list and in the details view?
best level.five
It should be just as customizable as any other template. You would just select it and choose "Edit". I've tried to comment the HTML as much as I can so that it's easy for people to customize.