Import query!

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
ozzie

Import query!

Post by ozzie »

Hi Guys. I have a large (over 3000) Classical CD collection. Up until now I had created an Excel list of all the titles. Is it possible to import it to CDpedia and spare me all the trouble of manually importing them. Thanks in advance
Nora
Site Admin

Re: Import query!

Post by Nora »

CDpedia will accept tab or comma delimited (csv) files for import so you can import your Excel collection without trouble. If you want to try it out first with just a few entries, export some (less than 25 so the demo doesn't lock the add and edit functions) and import that file into CDpedia via the 'Import Collection' command found under the File menu.
If you haven't already done so, you can download the CDpedia demo version here.
ozzie

Post by ozzie »

Thank you Nora. I have already purchased CDpedia & DVDpedia. I appreciate your prompt response and I look forward bothering you with so other query or request. Take Care!
merydian
Inductee
Inductee

Post by merydian »

I am trying to import a list of movie titles in DVDpedia with no success. I created a list in a file, first one line per title, then added ";" at the end of each title. And each time I selectedd Import Collection... in the File menu. But the titles are not added. One one item seems to be added and not in the library but as a separate colection.

What I would lik to do is pretty obvious: add a list of movies! Like Add but more than one because I have a large list (many hundreds). Is such a simple feature supported in DVDpedia?

Thanks,
Pierre
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Hi Pierre,

There should be no problem importing single column using the import function. For example the following in a text file:

Code: Select all

Title
Movie1
Movie2
Movie3
Movie4
Movie5
Movie6
When title mapped to title will produce 6 new movies that are placed in an excluded collection (not your library). If you are happy with the import you can include the imported collection in your library by selecting it and using the "Include in Library" command under the file menu.

If you are looking to also download more information about those titles you could use the "Add Multiple" command directly inside DVDpedia. The add field in that window is a one line high but it will take a paste of many lines and break them up into individual entries and begin a search for all of them and add them to your selected collection as it finds them.

In both cases leave out the semi-colon that you added at the end of the line.
donglobal
Contributor
Contributor

Post by donglobal »

How do I add more fields to imported files or ensure that extra fields are automatically added to newly imported files for example, I want to add fields for Files size, resolution (720p, Blue-ray, 1080 p etc) and another fields for files format (AVI, ISO etc) how can this be done?

I would like to add these fields to the main page not the extras page. I would also like to be able to filter or search my collection via one or more of these criteria as well, is it do able?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

If you are using a text file import, you can map any incoming field to any field in DVDpedia. If you are using a fixed import like the XMBC XML file, then you need to change it to be a text import to be able to map custom fields that are not included in the XML import.

The custom fields are located in the extras tab by default but that can be changed in the preferences under the fields tab and moved to the main tab of the edit window.

Any field can be sorted and filtered in the table view as well as used as a smart collection criteria.
donglobal
Contributor
Contributor

Post by donglobal »

Thanks for your reply, I have another query in relation to this, I have exported files in the following format and need to map them to DVDpedia;

Title & Size
Movie 1 (2009)
Movie 2 (2005)
Movie 3 (2007)
Movie 4 (1974)
Movie 5 (2010)

I would like to map the size component (second line) to a custom field and movie name and year to the corresponding fields in DVDPedia, how can this be done. I may also want to include other fields ie; video format and picture format in the txt file to import into the respective fields as well.

I hope you can help.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

DVDpedia understands a standard comma or tab separated file. Since you have commas in the size I would recommend using tab. You need to replace the return character for a tab to make it something DVDpedia can read. E.i. all the information for a movie should be in a single line:

Title	Size
Movie 1 (2009)	1,471,052,276
Movie 2 (2005)	4,678,086,479
Movie 3 (2007)	4,356,046,848
Movie 4 (1974)	12,189,894,620
Movie 5 (2010)	8,530,173,510
You should be able to do this in a regular text editor. Then simply drag the new file over to DVDpedia to set the mapping of title and custom field and import. You can also add the other fields like video format if you can find a way to easily copy them and tag them at the end of the line. If you have everything in columns, it might be easier to go through a program like Numbers or Excel first and then have those programs export a standard tab export. I would also consider removing the parenthesis and changing the " (" for a tab, to be able to import the theatrical release date into the theatrical release date field instead of with the title (it will make further info searches, in online sites for data more accurate).

Title		Theatrical	Size
Movie 1	2009	1,471,052,276
Movie 2	2005	4,678,086,479
donglobal
Contributor
Contributor

Post by donglobal »

Thanks Condor,

Thats a great help
sjk