Play Ripped Movie files

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Play Ripped Movie files

Post by kbarnes70 »

Hi - can someone help me out with this? I've had DVDpedia for years but this is the first time I have tried to use it as a media player. I am ripping the entire disc from the original (legally owned) DVD using Mac The Ripper. This creates a folder named the same as the Movie. If I go to Apple's DVD Player, I can go to the File menu, select Open Media, navigate to this folder and click it and it starts to play the movie. In DVDpedia, I am going to the Edit menu, adding the file as mentioned but it won’t play. Same thing in Front Row using the DVDPedia FR plugin - it wither does nothing or DVD Player reports it as an incompatible file type, even though it plays it just fine direct from DVD Player. Anyone able to point me in the right direction here? Long term, I want to rip my entire DVD collection to hard drives and then use DVDpedia as the front end for viewing them, either directly or via Front Row. All help gratefully appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Keith
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: Play Ripped Movie files

Post by sjk »

Try adding a .dvdmedia extension to the ripped folder that contains the VIDEO_TS folder, cf:

DVDpedia: recognize .dvdmedia packages
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by kbarnes70 »

sjk wrote:Try adding a .dvdmedia extension to the ripped folder that contains the VIDEO_TS folder, cf:

DVDpedia: recognize .dvdmedia packages

Thanks sjk. That does the job just fine.

Kind Regards,

Keith
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

Glad that helped you, Keith.

Btw, you can use "Show Package Contents" in Finder to view the contents of folders with .dvdmedia (and other) extensions that'll launch apps when opened normally (e.g. by double-clicking).
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by kbarnes70 »

sjk wrote:Glad that helped you, Keith.

Btw, you can use "Show Package Contents" in Finder to view the contents of folders with .dvdmedia (and other) extensions that'll launch apps when opened normally (e.g. by double-clicking).

Thanks again. This is going to be a major project for me. 650 DVDs, all need ripping and then installing into the system. I've moved exclusively now to Blu-ray for new purchases (assuming they are availanle on Blu) so it seemed a good time to consider setting up a media server for the DVD collection. I'm planning on using a Mac Mini as the main hardware with media stored on external hard drives. Mac The Ripper is handling the ripping and DVDPedia or DVDPedia/Front Row will provide the front end. All that will go through the Onkyo 5007 via HMDI which will handle the video and audio processing. This is all new to me so I expect a learning curve :)

Kind Regards,

Keith
adamhh
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by adamhh »

Good luck Keith! Do let us know how it goes. I recently bought a mac mini and have similar aspirations. But for now, I'm still upgrading VHS! I'm about half way there but I've still got 360 features and at least 1000 shorts to dvd-r record. How epic these projects are!
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by kbarnes70 »

adamhh wrote:Good luck Keith! Do let us know how it goes. I recently bought a mac mini and have similar aspirations. But for now, I'm still upgrading VHS! I'm about half way there but I've still got 360 features and at least 1000 shorts to dvd-r record. How epic these projects are!
Sure will let you know. I have ripped a few DVDs to get started and they are all working now via DVEPedia, thanks to sjk's tip about renaming the folder with an added .dvdmedia suffix. Next step, before I buy the Mac Mini is to try it out using my Macbook in place of the mini, with just a couple of the ripped files for a trial. I have had to order a connecting lead off Amazon for this and can't do it until it arrives. That will let me connect the Macbook to an HDMI input on my Onkyo AVR. I want to trial it for quality assessment. I have an Oppo 983H DVD player and the upscaling is just breathtaking. The Onlyo 5007 has Reon upscaling chips and they are supposed to be excellent - the trial will tell me how it compares with the Oppo. If the quality is as good, then I am all set. If it isn't, then I will decide based on how good the quality is when the Onkyo is doing the upscaling. Lots to do!

Kind Regards,

Keith
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

kbarnes70 wrote:thanks to sjk's tip about renaming the folder with an added .dvdmedia suffix.
An "Append .dvdmedia Extension To Folders" preference (disabled by default) was added to some version of MTR 4 (MacTheRipper). Similar prefs exist in MacDVDRipper Pro and RipIt.
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by kbarnes70 »

sjk wrote:
kbarnes70 wrote:thanks to sjk's tip about renaming the folder with an added .dvdmedia suffix.
An "Append .dvdmedia Extension To Folders" preference (disabled by default) was added to some version of MTR 4 (MacTheRipper). Similar prefs exist in MacDVDRipper Pro and RipIt.
Cool! Thanks for that sjk. I shall look for it.

Kind Regards,

Keith
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by kbarnes70 »

sjk wrote:
Getting MTR 4 is slightly more difficult than getting a Nobel Prize by the looks of it, so I have just bought MacDVDRipper Pro for just $10 - great price and a nice, simple program to use. Some of the ripper programs are incredibly complex and have thousands of options - great for some users I guess but overkill for me. Thanks for the heads-up on this sjk.

Kind Regards,

Keith
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

I'd almost suggested trying MacDVDRipper Pro (MDRP) if you didn't already have/use MTR 4. :)
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by kbarnes70 »

sjk wrote:I'd almost suggested trying MacDVDRipper Pro (MDRP) if you didn't already have/use MTR 4. :)
I've also found the amazing PLEX today too to use as a front end. A sensational program.

Kind Regards,

Keith