Default video player

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
mortond
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Default video player

Post by mortond »

I have a database comprised of various video formats (.ave, .wmv, .mov, .mkv, TS folders (ripped DVDs)
Is there anywhere in DVDPedia where I can force VLC to play everything?
I know one can go into Get Info and choose the player wished for and to force that player for every instance of that format.
However, this option is not available for TS folders, you get what Apple wants and that is not always consistent!
Also, messing around I ended up with the same movie playing with Divx, when I removed DivX from my computer DVDP chose the Apple DVD player. After restarting DVDP it chose VLC to play the same title I know I am usually confused but.....

I have a Synology D411 NAS containing my library. I created a folder on it and copy my latest iMac DVDP database files to it (I use the iMac to add, edit and mess)
I have a Mac Mini set up to play my movies on my TV via the HDMI connection, DVDP is running the NAS folder database.
I have found that the most consistent/best player is VLC. It does what it says on the tin, with no messing about. So I want all the video files to use it.

I have given up on DLNA, Plex and XBMC.
Synology have just added Plex (which unfortunately relies on my TV's DLNA which is garbage) to their box; as well as a Video player similar to Plex that only plays on a computer, not on the TV!!!!!
All these apps do a few things well but, many poorly or not at all. Overall they cannot compete with DVDP as a pretty front end playing on a computer via a TV screen.
DLNA was supposed to do this but little men in big corporations are too pig-headed and determined to not allow it to work as proposed.
Sledge hammer approach I guess, would be to remove all video players except VLC from the MM but that;s not nice!

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
David
Nora
Site Admin

Re: Default video player

Post by Nora »

If you'd like to set VLC as your default movie player in DVDpedia, open the application Terminal found in Applications/Utilities and type in the line below, followed by a return:

Code: Select all

defaults write com.bruji.dvdpedia "VLC for VIDEO_TS" -bool YES
mortond
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by mortond »

Hi,
Copied/pasted/return your code into Terminal.
DVDP will not open any VIDEO_TS folders at all.

How do I undo this action?
Changing YES to NO does not do it.

Thank you
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Changing NO from YES would undo the preference.

Do the URLs for the VIDEO_TS folders end in VIDEO_TS, they should not point to the .vob files inside but the actual folder. You can check the URL in the links tab of the edit movie information window.

Otherwise please check your console log after trying to launch a movie file as any errors will be reported into the console.You can access the console log via the application 'Console', located inside your Applications/Utilities. The newer messages are towards the end of the log.

The launching of the VIDEO_TS folders is done via an Apple Script that you can modify to change the behavior. The script can be found inside the Pediabase.framework, more info here.
mortond
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by mortond »

Hi,
Changing the YES to NO did not work for three attempts, even allowing for the delay from iMac to NAS via the network.
For the fourth attempt I shut the computer down and restarted it, after adding code. DVDP then played VIDEO_TS folders so I assumed it worked.

DVDP recognized all my DVD imports when adding and linked then all correctly to the VIDEO_TS folder so that wasn't the cause for not working.

Thanks for the info re. Applescript. I commented out DVD Player and uncommented VLC the gods appear to approve the change and VLC now plays DVDs.
So now I am a happy camper!

Thanks again,