Bookpedia freezing, "not responding" after taking cover pic

Report your bugs here - if someone else has already mentioned the same bug, just add on to their post with as much info as possible to make the hunting easier.
mommahawk
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Bookpedia freezing, "not responding" after taking cover pic

Post by mommahawk »

Hi,
I just updated my Bookpedia yesterday to the 6.0. I'm on a 2011 MacBook Pro, running 10.13.6 High Sierra. I'm trying to add books, but as soon as I "capture cover," I have 2 issues. 1) The pic shows up in the detail box moved halfway over to the right, cutting off the right side, instead of centered as usual. 2) Bookpedia then starts giving me the spinning circle and stops responding where I end up having to force quit.
I restarted Bookpedia and restarted my computer. Any other suggestions?
mommahawk
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Re: Bookpedia freezing, "not responding" after taking cover

Post by mommahawk »

Adding that it does both of these things even if I add the book and then go back and try to capture cover after it was added to my library, if that matters.
mommahawk
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by mommahawk »

More info: It's now stopped responding twice (out of about 25 books), and I've had to force quit. Both times were after clicking 'add' after inputting book details in a new entry.
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

May I make some maintenance suggestions that MAY help you solve your problems:
  • 1 - When I am updating App's to a new WHOLE number version or I know that there has been a major rewrite of the App such as with the case of all the pedia's and especially as Conor has rewritten them solely for 64bit technology, I do a complete uninstall of the old version prior to update. I acheive this by using a FREE program called AppCleaner which you can download from here. On using this App place a check mark IN ALL the boxes EXCEPT: ~/Library/Application Support/*****pedia , which is the second line down from the top. This is where your data base is located. Ensure that is NOT ticked. You will loose your Preference settings though but they only take a couple of minutes to redo. ONLY DOWNLOAD THE VERSION FOR YOUR macOS

2 - There is also one other thing you can do and that is to use, what I call a "Grease & Oil Change" maintenance program called Onyx. This is a FREE program that is a multifunction utility that you can use to verify the structure of the system files, to run miscellaneous maintenance and cleaning tasks, to configure parameters in the Finder, Dock, Safari, and some of Apple's applications, to delete caches, to remove certain problematic folders and files, to rebuild various databases and indexes, and more. I always use it prior and post system OS updates and about once a month.

This program is available here: Titanium Software - Onyx. ONLY DOWNLOAD THE VERSION FOR YOUR macOS

3 - Increase the width of the Left Sidebar where Library and all your Collections and Cover Art are listed. To do this hover your cursor over the Sidebars right hand separator line till it changes to a double headed arrow and drag the line slightly to the right or to what every width is suitable.

4 - Also there are some hidden menu tasks that you can perform: "hold down the option key and click on the main Help menu in each program once and select - each in turn: 'Verify Database', 'Remove Orphaned Covers' and 'Clean Duplicates in Fields' these may not solve your problems but it wont hurt either.

5 - And finally if your particular pedia is actually crashing do check for the Crash Logs. You can find the relevant logs in your Home folder under ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/

Send them to Bruji Support: support@bruji.com

Please describe in the email exactly what you were doing or attempting to do at the exact moment of the crash.
AND of course always carry out a general machine BACKUP first. Remember that all the pedia's also have the ability to create individual data base backups: File > Export Collection > Backup > Location of your choice

Hope you find these Tips & Hints helpful :D
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the bug report. I am on it and should have an update soon.
mommahawk
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by mommahawk »

Any update on this yet? Bookpedia "not responding" and having to force quit after capturing a cover photo is still happening.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Should have a beta for testing by next week.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you so much for all the patience. It should be fixed in the beta version, please give it a try, will be included in the next release if working:

DVDpedia
Gamepedia
CDpedia
Bookpedia
mommahawk
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by mommahawk »

Yay! It works! Thank you so much!
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the verification on the fix.
warhol
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by warhol »

I am also having problems with Bookpedia frequently crashing or freezing when adding new items - often after adding cover pic, but not always at this step.

I'm on macOS 10.12.6 and currently using the Bookpedia beta 6.0.1 after experiencing the same problems with 6.0 - using the beta hasn't improved matters.

I can send crashlogs if helpful.
warhol
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by warhol »

Following one of your comments in an earlier thread, I've stepped back to Bookpedia 5.7 and that has been much more stable. Search results are more successful too.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Do please send me the crash logs, so that I can make sure I am on the right track to fix the bug for 10.12. You need not install the new version again. The logs should still be in your user folder at ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/Bookpedia. To open your home Library folder, hold down the option key on your Mac and use the Finder "Go" menu and select the "Library" command.
warhol
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by warhol »

Sorry for my slow response - I've only just seen your reply. Will send the logs now.