Catalina Freeze

Report your bugs here - if someone else has already mentioned the same bug, just add on to their post with as much info as possible to make the hunting easier.
Lost Highway
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Catalina Freeze

Post by Lost Highway »

Hi from Germany,

since I've changed my iMac to Catalina, my pedias are freezing ones a day - minimum.
So I have to close the pedia and start it again. Is there someone else with the same problem
and is there any solution available?

Best regards
Highway
FineWine
Site Admin

Re: Catalina Freeze

Post by FineWine »

You could try the following:

1 - When I am updating App's to a new WHOLE number version or upgrading to a new OS version, or I know that there has been a major rewrite of the App such as with the case of all the pedia's and especially as Conor has rewritten them solely for 64bit technology, I do a complete uninstall of the old version prior to update. I achieve this by using a FREE program called AppCleaner which you can download from here. On using this App place a check mark IN ALL the boxes EXCEPT: ~/Library/Application Support/*****pedia , which is the second line down from the top. This is where your data base is located. Ensure that is NOT ticked. You will loose your Preference settings though but they only take a couple of minutes to redo. ONLY DOWNLOAD THE VERSION FOR YOUR macOS

2 - There is also one other thing you can do and that is to use, what I call a "Grease & Oil Change" maintenance program called Onyx. This is a FREE program that is a multifunction utility that you can use to verify the structure of the system files, to run miscellaneous maintenance and cleaning tasks, to configure parameters in the Finder, Dock, Safari, and some of Apple's applications, to delete caches, to remove certain problematic folders and files, to rebuild various databases and indexes, and more. I always use it prior and post system OS updates and about once a month. Also especially in this case concerning the new macOS 10.15.* Catalina which has dropped support for ALL 32 bit App's.

This program is available here: Titanium Software - Onyx. ONLY DOWNLOAD THE VERSION FOR YOUR macOS

3 - Also there are some hidden menu tasks that you can perform: 'hold down the option key and click on the main Help menu in each program once and select - each in turn: 'Verify Database', 'Remove Orphaned Covers' and 'Clean Duplicates in Fields' these may not solve your problems but it wont hurt either.

4 - And finally if your particular pedia is actually crashing do check for the Crash Logs. You can find the relevant logs in your Home folder under: ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/

Send them to Bruji Support: support@bruji.com

AND of course always carry out a general machine BACKUP first. Remember that all the pedia's also have the ability to create individual data base backups: File > Export Collection > Backup > Location of your choice

Hope you find these Tips & Hints helpful :D
Lost Highway
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Lost Highway »

Hi FineWine,

you are really deep connected in the programming thing....

But the solutions are sounding a little bit dangerous for me.
I'm fearful to loose my collection od more than 3.000 CD datas, more than 1.000 Vinyls,
2.000 DVDs and a few 100 books.....(I didn't start to collect my single datas yet)

So I think that I'll wait 'till an official new update from the pedias is available.

Once again: Thank you very much
and I wish you all "Merry Christmas"
and a happy new year 2020.

CUall again.
Best regards from Germany
Highway
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

I understand your reluctance with such a large catalogue. But both programs are non-destructive to the pedia's database so long as you stay away from ~/Library/Application Support/*****pedia directories. As a safety measure you can 'Copy' those directories to the desktop or even to large USB sticks, one USB stick per Library/Application Support/*****pedia for each pedia. This I have heard pedia owners do do as a safety backup and they ensure that these USB sticks are kept off site. Also others, like myself, have a 'grandfather' external drive setup.

But no matter what you do do you should ALWAYS HAVE A BACKUP which most use macOS inbuilt backup program - Time Machine. I myself use Time Machine permanently hooked up and a program called 'Carbon Copy Cloner' for my 'grandfather' setup.

Also please remember Conor has rewritten all the pedia's using 64bit code so that they can work with macOS 10.15 Catalina which is solely 64bit code. There will of course always be bugs that even the best programmers in the world can not foresee. As Dr. Isaac Asimov postulated, 'there will always be ghosts in the machine'.

Frohe Weihnachten für Ihre Familie und ein lohnendes neues Jahr.
Prost
Lost Highway
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Lost Highway »

Hi FineWine,

your German is becoming better and better. :)

I'm using the TimeMachine for my permanent backup and I'm making data backups
with the export function. That's maybe not the most elegant solution but it works well.

On the other side I think I'll wait 'till Conor will find the ghost in the machine... Haha.

Ho Ho Ho
and
Merry Christmas to ya all

Highway