DVDpedia: Bug with search in 212 version

Report your bugs here - if someone else has already mentioned the same bug, just add on to their post with as much info as possible to make the hunting easier.
Hobolix
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

DVDpedia: Bug with search in 212 version

Post by Hobolix »

A bug during search in version beta 212. Search for "Truth or Dare" :
https://postimg.cc/CZzPwhRX
https://postimg.cc/fSLjf5YF
FineWine
Site Admin

Re: DVDpedia: Bug with search in 212 version

Post by FineWine »

Searching on a Title can result in a load of results depending upon how many times that Title has been used and in what country it has been used.

It also just searches on the words, so if the words are used within a longer Title then the search will also result in that Title ie: "Game Grumps" Truth or DARE. And Sandwiches! or "Marcus Butler" Truth or Dare with Zoella

To find the movie you are after you just need to go down the list and click on each one and let them load in the main right hand window till you discover the movie you are after. You may see the spinning beach ball, be patient.

You can also limit your search to a particular countries data base.

1 - Set up your search criteria within Menu Bar > DVDpedia > Preferences > Sites. Place a tick in the search site you want to use. You can also drag and drop up and down to alter the search order.
2 - Within the Add search box you can limit your search further for a particular movie by clicking on the magnifying glass and selecting that search site then more search criteria boxes will pop up.
Hobolix
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by Hobolix »

I've used DVDpedia for many years and I've already added a few thousand movies to the database. That search answer is not normal, it's a bug, this does not happen with other titles. A fine program cannot give these results. However no problem, it was just to give a help.
Hobolix
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by Hobolix »

I have done other checks and I can confirm the bug also when indicated only IMDB as "sites" in preferences.
It also takes always the wrong date, example: for "Bang the Drum Slowly", which is a 1973 film (see IMDB and Wikipedia EN) DVDPedia takes 1978 that is the date for Netherlands (as you can see on IMDB page). This for release date because the program never put a date as theatrical date (in the past this was ok), that is the date that should appear in the details view too, after the title, in the same way as IMDB.
PS: I add that both dates are in brackets on IMDB, and if DVDPedia looks for the bracket to locate the field to take, it probably skips the first date and places itself on the second one it finds.