detailed track information for CDpedia

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
margit
Contributor
Contributor

detailed track information for CDpedia

Post by margit »

Based on a posting from last year, I know at least one other user would like more track information in CDpedia. I probably don't have the patience to key in quite as many fields as that person requested (for the 1500 or so LPs that I am digitizing), but for classical music, especially discs by performer as opposed to composer, frequently there is a different composer for each track. And, with the integration with iTunes, there needs to be a field for each CDpedia track to support track composer information from iTunes.

As well, I find that the beautiful new interface, even when stretched across my 20" screen, does not allow the track name pane to stretch to accommodate a track name such as "Divertimento No. 15 in B-flat Major, K. 287: Andante, allegro molto", much less to place a composer in the same line for want of any other place to put the composer.

And, while I can enter a rating for a specific album, I cannot find anywhere to enter ratings for specific tracks, and everyone knows that tracks on a disc are not created equal. Furthermore, again iTunes already has a rating in place for each track, so if one is importing from iTunes, that information presumably is not included.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

When it comes to storing lots of details at the track level, this is where iTunes comes in, we don't want to duplicate its functionality. However, composer is an important field, especially for classical tracks. Thank you for giving us feedback on how you would use CDpedia. There are several info view styles, you can access them by ctrl-clicking on the info view or the preferences. One of them is specifically designed for longer track names and is called classical.
margit
Contributor
Contributor

Post by margit »

Thank-you, Conor, for the advice on changing the Info View, and especially the options for accessing the view options. I get so accustomed to using TitleTrack Jukebox, where most OSX functions don't work, that when I am updating information back and forth I no longer think of using contextual menus.

You may remember having helped me get my TitleTrack Jukebox data into CDpedia back in 2004. I then got busy on other projects, but now that I am digitizing the pre-CD music into iTunes, I am finding a need to have easy access to the CD collection infomation for comparison to avoid spending time on duplicates. That is where CDpedia comes in, for TitleTrack has a more cumbersome search interface. And, thus my need for features that do in fact duplicate some iTunes features.

Eventually, when mega-terabyte hard drives are more readily available, I will rip the CDs into iTunes, and at that time my main use for CDpedia will probably be as an inventory tool since iTunes does not provide any summary information about cost or value for insurance purposes.