Editing the "Status" Field

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
EricBarstad
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Editing the "Status" Field

Post by EricBarstad »

Hello,

Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place. I just purchased Bookpedia and I'm wondering if it's possible to edit the "Status" field for each book or in anyway interact with the banners it produces (e.g., "On Sale Now")? I run a book review site, and I'd like to be able to put "Assigned" or "Reviewed" or the due date of the review on the banner -- is there a way to do this? If not, I'd like to suggest it as a possible feature in an upcoming version.

I really can't express how great this program is, and I especially enjoy how easy the export templates are to modify -- wonderful! Thank you for sharing these awesome products.

Eric
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Hi Eric,

There no interacting with the banner; the banner picks up it's information from the release field and the borrowed field. Thanks for the suggestions to expand the banner system.

To get started right away I would use a custom field and rename it Status. That way you could enter "Assigned" and "Reviewed" and not only sort by that column but also create some smart collections that would display all the Assigned books etc...

Otherwise if you want to go the full monty; take over the borrowed and wish list collection if you don't plan on using them. You can rename the borrowed collection Assigned and wish list Reviewed. This will show the status of the book in the status column, you can change these icons by replacing the icons inside the program at Bookpedia.app/Contents/Resources/RedArrow.tif (It's our oldest image so the name is kind of strange.) the wish list one is Star.tif (This can even be done with an installer once you create the images as we have a UI customisation system in place).

You will also have a due date with borrowed that you can make use of. To change the text in the banner from "Due back in 5 days" to "Deadline in 5 days" open the following file Bookpedia.app/Contents/Resources/MainTranslation.string and look for "STDueToday", "STDueTomorrow" and "STDueDays" and change the writing on the right side. (Be sure to leave the "%d" in the phrase somewhere as this gets replaced by the number of days.)

To change the title of the Borrowed By column go to Bookpedia.app/Contents/Resources/RealTitles.string and change the right hand side of "BorrowedBy". Keep a copy of all the files you changed so you can drop them into future updates.

As an added bonus you can limit the people who show up in the borrowers autofill pop up to a group of your reviewers by creating a group called Pedia in your Address Book and adding your reviewers to that.
EricBarstad
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by EricBarstad »

Hi Conor,

Thanks for the reply! I went with the Smart Collections -- awesome! Didn't even know about them yet, but I had already created a custom field called "Status" that I could use.

Thanks so much.

Eric