Bwana - can't find man page

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
TicToc

Bwana - can't find man page

Post by TicToc »

First up, thanks for a great little application - vastly more pleasant to read man pages formatted by Bwana than by man...

I'm stumped though - I can't get Bwana to locate a man page, even though man finds it just fine in the Terminal. Any suggestions what to try?

More specifics:
The man page in question is located at /usr/local/clamXav/share/man/man1/freshclam.1 . This was installed as part of the clamXav package http://www.markallan.co.uk/clamXav/.

I thought that the problem might be in the manpath. /usr/local/clamXav/bin is in the Path, but /usr/local/clamXav/share is not. I tried two approaches, and neither worked: I added /usr/local/clamXav/share, and /usr/local/clamXav/share/man to ~/.profile, and I also edited /usr/local/misc/man.conf, adding a map from usr/local/clamXav/bin (where freshclam resides) to /usr/local/clamXav/share/man.

I can't even open the man page in Bwana by giving the full path and filename.

As I said, I'm stumped. It's probably obvious, but I'm a Unix novice, so please don't assume knowledge where none exists!

TIA,
John
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Used to be under /etc/manpath.config but under Tiger 10.4 you have to add the path to your environment variables. To do this create the following file at ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist with this text content:

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist SYSTEM "file://localhost/System/Library/DTDs/PropertyList.dtd">
<plist version="0.9">
<dict>
        <key>MANDATORY_MANPATH</key>
        <string>/usr/local/clamXav/share</string>
</dict>
</plist>
Here is Apple website with information on how to create the file; they use a program that comes with the developer tools to edit the file instead of using a text editor.

Bwana caches the paths to force a reload, reload the index with man:index_refresh. In the next version I'll add it so you can set manpaths to be searched directly in Bwana, just like you can change the the scripts it runs.
TicToc

Post by TicToc »

Hi Conor,
thanks for your fast response. Hmmm. I think I've done what you suggested, but no dice.

I pasted your text into a text Wrangler file, cleaned up extra spaces, and saved as a plist file. I then opened it in the Property List Editor, and saved it to the ~/.MacOSX directory. That resulted in the code changing slightly - the doctype and plist version changed to:

Code: Select all

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
But otherwise all remained the same. I then restarted, followed by a man:index_refresh.

I still get the 'Man Page Not Found' result. Oh, and I still see the man page OK in Terminal.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Incidentally, I have had this problem before, but didn't note which man pages were a problem. They were either packages I installed myself from source, or as part of DarwinPorts/MacPorts.

Thanks again for your help,
John
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Maybe the key is something else, like "manpath" instead of "MANDATORY_MANPATH". I got this tip via email from a user I haven't used it myself, it used to be that you added the path to /etc/manpath.config but that all changed. Otherwise give me a few days to update Bwana to read the proper paths from /usr/local/misc/man.conf.
TicToc

Post by TicToc »

Sorry, my bad - I have no /usr/local/misc, let alone a man.conf therein. I do have a /usr/share/misc/man.conf, which is the one where I edited the MANPATH_MAP (as referred to in my first post). So please don't 'fix' Bwana to read/usr/local/misc/man.conf...

Cheers,
John
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Then new 2.0 Bwana should display pages for clamXav.