One single PEDIA ?

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
SaS

One single PEDIA ?

Post by SaS »

Just a suggestion : Why don't you merge DVD-, CD-, Book-, Game-Pedias in one single application ? (perhpas using tabs for navigation). This would make users' life easier as everything would be concentrate in a single interface

Bye
---SaS
Midori
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Midori »

NOOO, please No ! That is one of the reason I hate delicious is that habbit to want to stick several things very different in one stack. And though I use the four pedias, some of my friends do not want to have to buy more than the exact application they want.

Midori
KiplingCat
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by KiplingCat »

Midori wrote:... some of my friends do not want to have to buy more than the exact application they want.

Midori
I'm with Midori. Although I may eventually add CDpedia and Bookpedia once I get my DVD collection cleaned up, I don't want to pay for them until I'm ready to use them. One Augean task at a time!
SaS

Post by SaS »

I agree with you but one single interface does not mean you have to get/pay for all of the pedias (including the ones one does not need). My idea (but perhaps I was not clear) is to keep on getting and paying only for the pedias one needs but if you buy 2 or 3 or 4, they will somehow land into one single interface once installed.

---SaS
Raz

Post by Raz »

Although I agree with Midori's point, SaS's idea is what I would want too.
There should be a way to implement it...
solong4now
Inductee
Inductee

Merge vs. Link

Post by solong4now »

How about this, since it is difficult to merge separate programs, how about just a way to link them? So that when you open up one it can be set up to access the libraries of the others.
Example - iTunes has built into the side bar access to SHARED libraries of other users on a network as well as access to some other applications. If you've ever used LimeWire it can be set up to show your downloads as a playlists.
I imagine it should be possible with the pedia's to have under the 'Collections' side bar, the ability to link your other libraries. Similarly to the way, if you have ever imported another collection, it shows as a separate collection and does not add the items to the original Library.
i.e. if you have DVDpedia open and you own the other three, under 'Collections' would be, for example...

Library
Borrowed
Wish List
*Your Books
*Your CD's
*Your Games

Maybe this could be something for Leopard? :D
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Thanks for all the posts and opinions. It's good to know what our users are looking for (or not).

As for sharing the different libraries - for now you could use the AmazonPedia widget to do just that. The widget can access all the Pedia libraries at once (just select the dog in the toolbar) as well as the Amazon sites so you can see your entries in the libraries as well as their status and if you want to, open them in the Pedia or on Amazon.
stonneway
Contributor
Contributor

Post by stonneway »

Just want to put my vote in. I like being able to buy the bits i want (dont have many dvd's but have got loads of cd's etc), but it would be good if I could use the bookpedia and cdpedia etc within the same single interface.

Perhaps have all the bits shipped as one app, but with a sperate license code to activate each element.

Olly
druid
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by druid »

As a recent convert from Delicious Library, where all books, music, and films appear in one database, I'm happy with the separate 'pedia applications. They load quickly and are quite compact; a real benefit when making backups. So beware of asking for bloatware; an all-purpose app can be slow, bulky, and prone to breakdown.
stonneway
Contributor
Contributor

Post by stonneway »

oh indeed, and i agree whole heartidly about speed.

But it would be good to have them work in an integrated fashion

On windows you have the MMC (Microsoft Management Console) where MS supply an interface window and you can drop in different apps. Something like that would be good. A 'pedia console' which could be used to manage all the pedia DB's might be nice.

Olly
yomismo
Inductee
Inductee

Post by yomismo »

i agree with SaS.

i only want one application where i can catalog "my life" :)
stonneway
Contributor
Contributor

Post by stonneway »

does that mean you agree with me too ? :)
druid
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by druid »

No, and I disagree with you all, so that's 10 votes for the three-pedia side! :lol:
cottow

Post by cottow »

I'd like to see one pedia application as well. I keep clicking on the wrong pedia app when I want to enter something :-) It would be great to have just one application to manage my personal data with. It would be good if you could choose not to enable certain features and thus don't pay for them - however, if you'd double or triple the price, you'd probably make enough profit to offer the four pedias for the price of 2 or 3 as everybody would pay for those 2 or 3 instead of 1. Am I making sense here? :-)

Anyway, one application would be a great improvement in my opinion.
druid
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by druid »

It might make sense for small collections, but not for big ones. I will eventually have 5,000 books, over 1,000 CDs, and 800 DVDs. I don't want all that stuff in the same database. Look at the field templates sometime and note how different they are!

However, I do wish there were a Pedia Lite that I could use to build templates for vinyl records and cassette tapes.