Help with isight

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
dementia
Inductee
Inductee

Help with isight

Post by dementia »

Hello! I was trying to scan the barcode of my book but I'm not sure if I should be pressing a key or what. I have an ibook with a separate isight. Please teach me how to scan. Thanks :)
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

To scan a barcode, click the plus button in the toolbar (or use the 'Add new book' menu option) to bring up a search window. Then click on the iSight button in the upper right-hand corner of that window. That'll bring up an iSight window with some red bars in the middle.
With an external iSight you want to position the barcode so that the length of the red bars pretty much match the length of the UPC - that's how you know you're at the right distance and focus. From there, center the bar code on the lines and sightly move away and towards the bar code to find the right focus. (If you take a look at the Help file in Bookpedia there's also a screenshot included of how far the UPC should be away.)
Once the iSight has scanned the UPC, the red bars will turn green, the iSight window closes and the search will begin automatically.