Gamepedia: Customizing System Icons?

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
Zerker

Gamepedia: Customizing System Icons?

Post by Zerker »

Is there any way to customize the System Icons used in Gamepedia or add more? Specifically, I want to deal with the following issues:

Incorrect ID: Anything starting with "Nintendo" currently gets the N64 logo, be it the NES, Gamecube or what not. Yes, I know the Amazon "standard" for the Gamecube is "GameCube", but I'm not Amazon and I like to have reasonable system names like "Nintendo Gamecube" or "Nintendo Entertainment System". Similiarly, if I change my PSP games to say "Playstation Portable" (which I'd prefer over "Sony PSP"), I get the PS1 icon.

Gameboy Color and Gameboy both have the exact same icon as well, and I'd like to be able to distinguish.

Missing ID: There is currently no icon for DOS, Neo Geo Pocket Color, Sega Genesis, Sega Master System, Sega CD, the NES (besides getting the N64 icon) or the SNES.

Hybrids: Some games I have are for multiple systems (usually Dos/Windows, Dos/Macintosh or Windows/Macintosh). If would be nice to be able to insert my own Frankenstein icon combining the two systems :)

I know you can't insert icons for all systems imaginable, which is why I'm asking how I can tweak the search criteria and icons myself. If it's something I can do with the plug-in architecture, I'm not above a little bit of coding if necessary. Any thoughts?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

This request is a tough one. By hard coding the possible icon and names the look up is very fast 15 microseconds per icon, if I add a generic lookup based on the platform name the lookup takes 34 millisecond. I will see if I can improve the speeds so that I can add it to the regular version.

In the meantime since I tested it out and have it coded already use this version of Gamepedia (it might be the only version that ever does this) and add PGN icons inside the application resource folder (Gamepedia.app/Contents/Resource) named after the platform name in lowercase.

"Nintendo Entertainment System" would be "nintendo entertainment system.png". Keep a copy of your custom icons somewhere outside the application for backup.