Bento response?

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
kuzelnik
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Bento response?

Post by kuzelnik »

Now that Filemaker has released Bento, is there any thought given to a general utility database?

http://www.filemaker.com/products/bento/features.html

It's a very promising database program for the average person and will likely poach sales from the Pedias. Create a simplified version of the Pedias and call it SuperPedia or something like that.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

We have been watching Bento, carefully and checking if the wish for a Superpedia is now satisfied and we shouldn't be spending our resources on an app that will have to compete with an Apple product. It's missing a few features that we have envisioned for our app. Since they are still in a public beta we are watching closely see how it develops. We would like to get as much feedback as possible, so if you have tried the program don't hesitate to email us as let us know what you think.
kuzelnik
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Tried it

Post by kuzelnik »

I've already tried Bento and here are a few observations:

1) I like the idea of Bento accessing iCal & Address book info. This is what Apple intended when they kept those applications separate (unlike Entourage) in order to allow other applications access those pieces of information distinctly. If a user spends a lot of time in the application, it could come in very handy.

2) Draggable fields- The ability to create your own fields within records is an attractive option. With CDs, DVDs, Books, etc it's a pretty defined set of fields that don't really differ much. Allowing a user to add/remove or create their own fields offers unlimited flexibility.

3) Nested Collections- Allowing the user to nest collections within projects helps structure chunks of information nicely.

4) Multimedia- Allow the user to put any kind of information they want into each record, including dropdowns & popup calendar, etc.

5) Flexible layout- Great drag-n-drop interface for customizing layout when browsing records.

6) Advanced search

That's about it. The plus side would be that you could eliminate all the web functionality used for DVD/Book/CD searching & pulling info. Or you could leave all that in and add all the pedias into one app.... the SuperPedia.. :)
divinenanny
Contributor
Contributor

Post by divinenanny »

I tried Bento, but I still like pedia for one simple reason... I don't want to think about it. Pedia just works, and with Bento I have to think about how I structure things, where will I get my info. Sure, pedia is restrictive in a way, but I like it.
When a Superpedia (with the possibility of a custom collection) comes, I will buy, I am in love with pedia!
maz

Post by maz »

I jumped the gun and bought Bento hoping for a decent database program. It is OK, but far too limited. I have Book/CD/DVDpedia's - mainly use Book. It is much easier to use than Bento, and has a lot more options, especially with exporting.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Similar feedback is what we have been receiving via email about Bento. It's good to know we still have a place in the market and can continue to grow.
Rigido
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Rigido »

Maybe I didn't understand what Bento is but how could it "fight" with Pedias?
I mean, Pedias have plugins and can download info from internet just using UPC/EAN codes...can Bento do that?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

No it can't, but it still a cataloging application.
Rigido
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Rigido »

Conor wrote:No it can't, but it still a cataloging application.
Does it have an underlying programming language like VBA (Visual Basic for Applications) in Access?