Data entry

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
Ronin
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Data entry

Post by Ronin »

When manually adding actors to the credits in DVDpedia it is necessary to hit the "+" button at the bottom of the page to make a new line active. I can then enter the actor's name and hit the tab key on my keyboard which moves it to the column for the name of the character, but if I hit the tab key again it merely toggles me back to the name of the actor and does not move down to the next line. I have to hit the "+" button again to make a new line active.

It would be nice to be able to use the tab key to move down the page so that I did not have to stop, use the mouse, and then get back to looking at the source I was reading from to enter the information.

It is a small thing, but it would be nice.

Thanks,

Richard
noisyscott
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: Data entry

Post by noisyscott »

I would also love to see a key command for adding an entry to the credit list.

Thanks!
Scott
PGW
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by PGW »

Or perhaps make it so that in the credits list, if you're in the "character name" column and hit tab, it automatically creates another active "actor" field for you (if you didn't want to enter a character name, you could just hit tab twice after entering an actor's name, and keep typing...).
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the feedback. We will try to come up with a solution, a keyboard shortcut for the plus button perhaps (will try to find out what the prescribe Apple shortcut should be for that). The problem with the tab creating a new line is that it's not the default behavior in Mac OS X. Although a lot of keyboard behaviors are really useful, we strongly adhere to the rule that the more programs act like each other the less memorizing to do and the friendlier the program is. This is the reason our program is so similar to iTunes and for better or worse we try to keep up with the Apple way. For example I find the enter key moving to the next row a very useful behavior (and we were willing to keep it in the credits as it was the default behavior prior to Leopard); however the tab key creating a new row, although useful, is something that would shock a good number of users.
Ronin
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by Ronin »

Conor,

"Pick a key, any key". All kidding aside, my original comment about the tab key was simply because hitting the tab key moves you from column one on the line to column two. When you hit it again, it moves you to column one of the very same line (point of origin). The expected behavior on many programs is that hitting the tab key simply moves you to the next entry point.

If, somehow, this violates the order of the universe according to Steve, please implement some sort of keyboard command as it is very slow moving off the keyboard to the mouse and back when entering the cast of a movie that the search either misses or the data for it is not present.

Some other applications have a menu choice for actions as well as a keyboard command. They typically show the key stroke along side the word for the action in the menu so that you can educate yourself as to the keyboard command, if you are so inclined.

Slightly off topic, about the missed searches. Has something changed on the Internet Movie Database? I have noticed more movie titles that the search misses are actually in their database. One other resource to which I frequently refer is the NY Times. Is there some way to include it in the list of places to search? I realize that this one might not be as easily accomplished as the rest as access to it is based on a log in (free) to their web site.

Thanks!
weather13

Post by weather13 »

Hello,
I'll pile onto this one; I am a pretty fast typist, so taking a hand off the keyboard to mouse down to the "+" really slows me down. There must be some key that would work -- maybe the down arrow key. Or a command, option, or function key. I generally love the three *pedias I bought, but this is annoying.

Bill
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Command-R (for new row). It's now in the beta version. If you hover over the button it should display it's shortcut.