DVDPedia/Leopard/iSight

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
ragtop
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ragtop »

I've tried all the different beta's that have been linked here, and neither of them fixed my problem. iSight just won't recognize the barcodes for me. The only thing I've heard from them is have I tried the beta's and yes I have, but still haven't fixed the problem.

I'm wondering, do they know it's still a problem and if so, are they working on it?
Rigido
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Rigido »

ragtop wrote:I'm wondering, do they know it's still a problem and if so, are they working on it?
Well, I didn't try to download them but Conor's post is two days old so I bet they're working on that. :wink:
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

It always takes a few days for the beta testers to report back. The iSight in the beta works for most and fails for a handful. These are the harder problems to solve as they only happen under certain conditions. I uploaded the new code and other developers might improve on it but that always takes time for another developer to include the code in their project. I am also exploring an altogether different method for reading the barcode. I will have to create a version that logs more information so that I can send to you to find out how it behaving on your system. Thank you for letting me know it was not working for you and I apologize for not replying to your post but I had no new information to report.
ragtop
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ragtop »

Conor, just to verify that my iSight was working, I downloaded a demo version of Delicious Library and it worked flawlessly everytime. I would no more than get the barcode in the designated area and it beeped and performed great. So, it's not my iSight.

James
Rigido
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Rigido »

Conor, the only messages I can see on the System.log console while trying to read a barcode are:

Jan 20 12:17:41 iMac DVDpedia[475]: 640
Jan 20 12:18:11: --- last message repeated 824 times ---
Jan 20 12:18:11 iMac DVDpedia[475]: 640
Jan 20 12:18:41: --- last message repeated 714 times ---
Jan 20 12:18:41 iMac DVDpedia[475]: 640
Jan 20 12:19:11: --- last message repeated 355 times ---
Jan 20 12:19:11 iMac DVDpedia[475]: 640

Don't think it is useful..
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for all the details. The "640" message is a debugging message, that states the horizontal resolution of the frame that I forgot to remove from the last version.
jasonrak

Post by jasonrak »

I just re-downloaded DVDpedia onto my 24' iMac hoping to use the iSight. I am disappointed it doesnt work. Unless I'm doing something wrong. I'm simply holding the barcode up to the red lines in the iSight window. Is this going to be resolved in another BETA soon?
Jason

1/26/08 8:07:19 AM com.apple.launchd[137] ([0x0-0x12b12b].com.bruji.dvdpedia[3571]) Stray process with PGID equal to this dead job: PID 3602 PPID 3597 sleep

1/26/08 8:07:30 AM DVDpedia[3612] 640
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

With version 4.1.2 you should see an improvement in the iSight scanning. However the feature is not yet at the point where we want it to be and we are still working on improving it further, that's why it's not included in the release notes for 4.1.2 yet.
Rigido
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Rigido »

I tried to download the beta and on the first start had to upgrade to 4.1.2 :)
Startup is way faster than before and now red lines on the iSight window sometimes flashes to green but the code doesn't appear on the search window. I can't find any message on the console, the only one is:

Jan 26 15:26:06 iMac com.apple.launchd[69] ([0x0-0x2b02b].com.bruji.dvdpedia[361]): Stray process with PGID equal to this dead job: PID 386 PPID 1 bash

Ciao.
jasonrak

Post by jasonrak »

Yes 4.1.2 now flashes some green lines but nothing else happens so still not working. I would purchase the game software too if I knew iSight was actually working.
Jason
jasonrak

Post by jasonrak »

This is the error I get when trying to use iSight in Gamepedia:

1/26/08
11:18:24 AM [0x0-0x15e15e].com.bruji.gamepedia[4041] SGVideo.mm:96:-[SGVideo initWithSeqGrab:] ### Err -9405
ragtop
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ragtop »

I downloaded the update and installed it. I'm at verison 4.1.2 but I still can't use iSight. Also not getting any messages in Console. I hope this gets fixed soon. This is the one single reason I choose this software, but it's not working.
kongjie

Post by kongjie »

I have been waiting to buy bookpedia until I got a new iMac with a built-in camera. So I got it, and the scan won't work.

As others have noted, Delicious works fine. The scanning that is, the app itself is pretty much useless except as a pretty list of books. Bookpedia is what I want to use, so I'm hoping a solution comes along soon.
FrenchKheldar
Inductee
Inductee

Re: DVDPedia/Leopard/iSight

Post by FrenchKheldar »

I'd like to know if the users reporting problems with their iMac iSights (2.16GHz Core 2 Duo 20" model for me) had any luck with the latest version? I've been waiting for DL2 for a long time and let's just say I'm underwhelmed by the changes made. The pedias look like the way to go but as mentioned before, it SUCKS that the basic scanning is so poor for some users... For me, I have to be able to scan a book, a DVD or a CD as the green bars flash but nothing happen, no beep, no search of the bar code. Same in the multiple entries window, no barcode is being recorded despite intermittent flashing of the red bars... I really want to buy the pedias but i'd like to have a little more feedback about this issue. Thanks!
Nora
Site Admin

Re: DVDPedia/Leopard/iSight

Post by Nora »

You're using version 4.2.2 of the Pedias, correct? Try the following: download this special version of DVDpedia, run it and try scanning an item.
After you've tried to scan a barcode, please have a look at your console log. There should be messages from DVDpedia printed out that will give us more information about what's happening. You can access the console log via the application 'Console', located inside your Applications/Utilities. The newer messages are towards the end of the log.

Also, could you send us a screenshot of your iSight window while you're trying to scan a barcode? You can take a screenshot by holding down Command-Shift-3. You'll find our email address on the support page. Thanks!