DVDPedia/Leopard/iSight

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
Churchil
Inductee
Inductee

DVDPedia/Leopard/iSight

Post by Churchil »

I'm using an Intel iMac 24inch and just upgraded to leopard. Since I did so, I'm not able to scan covers of new DVD's with build in iSight. Anybody with the same experience (or using Leopard and having no problem using the iSight)?
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

We've tried capturing covers with the iSight on Leopard and it seems to work fine here. Could you have a look at your console log, see if there are any messages from DVDpedia after you try to scan a cover? You can access the console log via the application Console, located inside your Utilities folder in Applications. The newer messages are towards the end of the log.
Bizzkit

Post by Bizzkit »

I'm having the same problem on my 20" iMac core 2 duo since installing Leopard. There were no entries in the Console Log after trying to scan bar code.
Ereth

Post by Ereth »

I am a recent convert to DVDPedia from Delicious and while I could scan reliably in their app, I have yet to be able to scan in DVDPedia. I am using a Mac Pro with an older external iSight. I tried to scan and I get red bars (far thicker than the picture in the Help File, say an inch or two high) and I can get them to flash green/red/green but I can't get them to actually scan.

The only thing that showed up in my console log after trying is listed below, though I'm not sure it's helpful. I DID upgrade from Tiger to Leopard, though, so maybe there's a library issue or something?

1/5/08 1:21:09 AM DVDpedia[3998] Error loading /Users/pat/Library/Contextual Menu Items/GraphicConverterCMI.plugin/Contents/MacOS/GraphicConverterCMI: dlopen(/Users/pat/Library/Contextual Menu Items/GraphicConverterCMI.plugin/Contents/MacOS/GraphicConverterCMI, 262): no suitable image found. Did find:
/Users/pat/Library/Contextual Menu Items/GraphicConverterCMI.plugin/Contents/MacOS/GraphicConverterCMI: mach-o, but wrong architecture
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

The MacBook iSights have a different ratio and resolution than the older computers, that's why the scanning isn't working at the moment. But we're working on fixing that.
Rigido
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Rigido »

Nora wrote:The MacBook iSights have a different ratio and resolution than the older computers, that's why the scanning isn't working at the moment. But we're working on fixing that.
Hi Nora,
is this true for iMac 24" "Late 2006" (I think) too?
I'm using the latest DVDpedia (tried with CDpedia too) on Leopard and I'm not able to scan any DVD/CD. The image on the iSight preview window looks "out of focus".
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Yes, that's true for iMacs too.
ScottH
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by ScottH »

Look, I love the Pedias (especially DVDPedia) and have been a happy owner for more than a year, with over 900 DVDs entered. And I bought a $20 CueCat off eBay to make scanning easy (I had an old Mac with no webcam at the time).

But I would think that this iSight issue would be a HUGE deal for new customers considering the Pedias. It seems like a no-brainer, as a user, to want to do this, considering there's an iSight built into nearly every system Apple sells now, and none of the current systems are compatible with the Pedia scanning. I think the flashy under-featured competition can do this in their many-years-old 1.x release, although I don't know if they've updated it for the newer iSights.

So I guess I'm hoping that it's pretty high in the queue for Conor to work on. In this period before and during the release of the 2.x version of the glitzy press-hog lame competition, iSight bar code scanning would be a critical factor in recruiting users to the Pedia world. And considering how superior the Pedias are to the competition, I'd hate to lose new converts over this technical issue.
Ereth

Post by Ereth »

Nora wrote:The MacBook iSights have a different ratio and resolution than the older computers, that's why the scanning isn't working at the moment. But we're working on fixing that.
Um, I'm using a Mac Pro TOWER, not a MacBook. And I'm using the old external iSight. The one that doesn't have improved resolution.

And I can't scan at all with the Pedias. That's why I posted the error above. It's not just the new iSights that don't work.
Ereth

Post by Ereth »

ScottH wrote:I think the flashy under-featured competition can do this in their many-years-old 1.x release, although I don't know if they've updated it for the newer iSights.
Their product works fine with both the older iSights and the new ones built into the MacBook Pros. If it weren't for the fact that their search doesn't find what I scan half the time, and they don't have smart folders, I would never have considered the Pedias at all. Scanning with Delicious is dramatically simpler than with the Pedias, and while it's not "first time every time", its got a far greater success rate.

I didn't even know that the iSight in the new Macs had changed resolution! Their ancient software "just worked" with it. (My nephew has a new MacBook Pro, so I was able to see it work for him).
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

There is an available beta of the software with a updated version of the iSight scanning. Let us know if it works, if it doesn't please email us some captured screen shots so that we can make sure it's displaying properly.
ragtop
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ragtop »

I just registered DVDpedia yesterday and for the life of me can't get the iSight working correctly. I have yet to get even ONE dvd entered via iSight. I have a 2.33 Intel Duo Core 2 processor, 2 Gig Ram, 20" iMac running Leopard 10.5.1

This was really one of the biggest reasons I choose to buy this software. I'm also running the lastest version of DVDpedia as well. Also, no messages in console while trying to scan.

James
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Have you tried the beta version linked in the previous post?
ragtop
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ragtop »

Yes, I verified the beta, which is actually the same version number, 4.1.1, but is slightly larger in file size. The only difference I can see is with the beta version, it seems iSight is black and white, but it still won't recognize ANY barcode, I'm still batting 0% with mine.

James
Rigido
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Rigido »

On the "How to play DVD images" thread Conor put a link to a Beta named beta.zip. Which is the newest one to play with to check iSight improvements?