Barcode scanner works in BookPedia and not DVDPedia?

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
crickbob1

Barcode scanner works in BookPedia and not DVDPedia?

Post by crickbob1 »

I just downloaded the trials and my barcode scanner works fine in BookPedia but not DVDPedia?

Any clues? I'd like to buy these if it works. - Thanks
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

The code for the scanning feature is identical for all the Pedias so if it works in Bookpedia then you shouldn't have any trouble in DVDpedia. Which scanner do you have? What was the problem with the scanning in DVDpedia? Did the search window not accept the scan or did it not find any results for the search?
crickbob1

Post by crickbob1 »

I also tried it with CDpedia and it didn't work there either.

The scanner is -

http://www.amazon.com/Contact-CCD-Barco ... 765&sr=1-9

I use it with great success for ComicBase -

http://www.comicbase.com/Barcode_Support.asp

And like I said, it worked great with the Bookpedia demo but not with DVDpedia nor CDpedia. The search window did not accept the scan, nor did the scanner beep as it did with Bookpedia. The only thing I can think of is perhaps that Bookpedia has locked control of the scanner somehow and even if quitting it and starting the others that the scanner is not released? Just guessing here....

Also, CDpedia crashed when trying to import my ITunes Library. The good news is that DVDpedia imported my existing DVDProfiler (from my old PC XP machine) perfectly.

Thoughts? I'm hoping this works, I want to by the bundle.
crickbob1

I think I got it

Post by crickbob1 »

I reset all the defaults for the scanner by clicking on the "SetAllDefaults" barcode that's in the scanner booklet and it now seems to be working. Not clear why it would work with the books before and not CDs and DVDs tho....

I'm gonna buy the bundle.

Do you know why the import from ITunes crashed with CDpedia? I'm hoping that's it's because I'm trying to do it with the demo version.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

I was writing a post detailing how it must be the scanner and not the programs and to try some kind of reset to fix it; but I am glad you were able to get it working. As for the iTunes it should definitely not crash even with the demo, so do please email us the crash logs so that we can look into that. You will find them under your home folder at ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/CDpedia.crash.log
crickbob1

Post by crickbob1 »

Conor - I just sent you a PM with the crash report. This is from the licensed version which I just purchased.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you.