New synch problem Pocketpedia 2 and ipad

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

New synch problem Pocketpedia 2 and ipad

Post by kbarnes70 »

Hi Guys,

I'm stuck. Yesterday I had to reset my iPad back to factory settings to clear out all manner of junk. Today I synched it to my Mac and then went to Pocketpedia 2 to suynch the data but all I get is "Pedia not found - please launch or restart the Pedia program on your Mac". Of course, DVDpedia is running in my iMac and no matter what I do I cannot get it to synch. I have tried the Option click on Help and checked the Pocketpedia/old connection button and also unchecked it but it makes no difference. I cannot get beyind that screen on PP2. Any help gratefully appreciated.

Incidentally, I get the same problem when trying to synch my iPhone and PP2, so I guess this points to an issue on the desktop machine not on the iPad. Synch was working perfectly until this problem today. Both the iPhone and the iPad can see the network and can connect to it for, for example, browsing using Safari.

I apologise if this has been covered elsewhere on the forum but the Search facility doesn't seem to handle strings so it's impossible to search for "Pedia Not Found" because of the huge number if instances of the words 'Pedia', 'Not' etc.

EDIT: I rebooted the router and now the PP2 on the ipad can find the Pedia but it starts to synch and then reports "Please be sure to have Pedia version 4.5.4 or higher on your Mac". I am using 4.6.1 so any ideas? Thanks.

Further EDIT: it's gone back to reporting Pedia Not Found now. I have no idea what is going on! Please suggest some things I can try. I did create a network and tried that but it can connect to it but still refuses to synch. And in any event, I don't want to have to connect PP2 to a different network every time I want to sycnh it - I never needed to do that before clearing out the iPad.

Latest OS-X with all updates applied, DVDpedia 4.6.1 beta 39.

Kind Regards,

Keith
Conor
Top Dog

Re: New synch problem Pocketpedia 2 and ipad

Post by Conor »

Definitely a network problem. This message comes up when Pocketpedia can see the Bonjour service but can't get a reply from DVDpedia when initiating the sync. Try disabling Bluetooth on your iPad. This was an issue with iOS 4.0 that was resolved in the latest update, but since the iPad still uses 3.2 this might be an issue. Could be before reseting your iPad you had bluetooth off.

If the Bluetooth is not the issue and you Mac has wireless it's useful to create a temporary network under the airport menu and connect the iPad. If it works with the temporary network but not through the router, then you know it's the router blocking the connection.
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by kbarnes70 »

Conor wrote:Definitely a network problem. This message comes up when Pocketpedia can see the Bonjour service but can't get a reply from DVDpedia when initiating the sync. Try disabling Bluetooth on your iPad. This was an issue with iOS 4.0 that was resolved in the latest update, but since the iPad still uses 3.2 this might be an issue. Could be before reseting your iPad you had bluetooth off.
Hi Conor,

Bluetooth is disabled here on the iPad anyway. I have changed nothing at all on the network side. All I did was clear out the iPad and run it as a new device through iTunes, so it gave me a factory fresh iPad so to speak. Before I did this, PP2 worked perfectly. The strange thing is I get a mixture of messages - sometimes PP2 says it can’t find the Pedia, sometime it says it is requesting collections, sometimes it says it is starting the synch but in all cases it fails to synch. Strangely, I cannot synch through my iPhone 3G any more (also running OS 3.2) and I have changed *nothing* on the iPhone (or the iMac). The iPhone requests the collections and then says I need to use version higher than 4.5.4, which I am. This points to a DVDpedia problem rather than a problem with the iMac or the iPhone I think.
Conor wrote: If the Bluetooth is not the issue and you Mac has wireless it's useful to create a temporary network under the airport menu and connect the iPad. If it works with the temporary network but not through the router, then you know it's the router blocking the connection.
I tried that and it still didn’t work doing it that way either. I wouldn't really want to do it that way anyway - before it just synched across the wireless network without any problems - no need to create a new network specially for PP2.

I wouldn’t mind so much not having the PP2 data on my iPad but I really do use PP2 on my iPhone and can't understand at all why it should suddenly stop working on that nor why it thinks I am using an old version of DVDpedia. Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time, as always.

Kind Regards,

Keith
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

I can only think of restarting both your iPad and your Mac. There should be no reason for the sync to have worked and stopped working due to reseting the iPad.
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by kbarnes70 »

Conor wrote:I can only think of restarting both your iPad and your Mac. There should be no reason for the sync to have worked and stopped working due to reseting the iPad.
I did reboot both devices but it made no difference. However, and this is weird, I have just tried to synch again and now *both* the iPad and the iPhone are synching properly. The iPad seems to want to synch from scratch every time (I did it twice to be sure it was working OK) but that's not an issue for me and it may well stop doing that for all I know.

I don't like it when things 'fix' themselves, but I am glad to have PP2 working again, especially on my iPhone as I do use it when browsing the bargain bins.

Thanks for the replies, as ever.

Kind Regards,

Keith
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

I like good news even when mysterious.