switching from Delicious Library

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Well if you are looking to write about book cataloging; don't forget to take a look at Books. The new version 3.0 is shaping up well, you will see they have learned a lot from Bookpedia. :) The developer also downloaded the iSight scanning code from the pedias that is open source, but I don't know if he included it in his new version. Being Tiger only they moved to use core data a technology that eases development. (Expect Library to do the same with their next release, but for different reasons they are trying to better the speed problems that plague them, but their speed problems lie else where with their interface and bindings.) With Leopard a year away and Tiger maturing I think you will see a lot of new apps out there that deal with databases as core data eases the development learning curve. These means exciting times for the users as every developer has different ideas of what they want from their applications and more competition fosters innovation. As for tidbits there is nothing that comes to mind right away as it's such a broad category, it depends on what you would like to know about. Version tracker comments are an excellent source of information so is Mac Update.
Last edited by Conor on Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pale Rider

Re: Why I like BP better than DL...

Post by Pale Rider »

frozilla wrote:<SNIP>

All that said, DL has some things I like better... for now...
<SNIP>
2. DL essentially integrates all of the pedias into a single app, for the cost of all of the pedias. I pesonally like this integration a lot, but others might consider it a big negative.
<SNIP>
I am late to this thread, but as a new user of BP, I thought I would chime in on one point that truly matters to me: integration for multiple media. I have a lot of books, several thousand, and a lot of DVDs and CDs. Many of those items are related to each other, especially the books and films. A DL strength is the single front end for all libraries. I truly wish the pedias had this capability. Intelliscanner takes a clunky approach to this problem, but it is still an effort, and it at least creates the illusion of an integrated collection [and it tracks my wine]. True integration, with all other superiority of the *pedias, would be a godsend.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Although the Pedias are separate applications, they do have some integration between them, and we are always improving and making it easier. Most users don't realise that you can link a Bookpedia book to a DVDpedia movie. Sure you're using two programs but clicking on the link will take you directly to the other program with the related entry highlighted. Delicious is not capable of this, you might have all the entries in the same program but you have to look for them. At a glance you know there is a relation, a click and you are there. The widget also searches across all the pedias at once; you can tell how many Harry Potter books, movies, games and possibly CDs you own.