How would dvdpedia cope with aprox. 200 000 records?

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
colinc
Contributor
Contributor

How would dvdpedia cope with aprox. 200 000 records?

Post by colinc »

I was wondering how DVD pedia's performance would be with these sorts of numbers of records? Will the database survive that level?

Thanks in advance,
Colin
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

I think that would be pushing the app over the edge. Already at around 5000-8000 entries some features start getting slow, such as the internal search and the smart collections, so I think 200 000 would pretty much kill it. We're always working on improving speed but until we get to that level, it'll probably be a while.. ;)
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

What Nora says is true. We don't use a MySQL type database where searches could be indexes. So the internal search field as well as the smart collections have to search through the entire database. The algorithms are very efficient and this is fine for 5000 entries, but with 200,000 you're not going to find it usable. You can try testing it by adding a few entries and doing a .dvdpedia export and reimporting the same entries. You can increase the number of entries exponentially like that. Wait until you see our program go 10.4 (Tiger) only. In Tiger the use of Core Data could provide a MySQL type database that would be much faster and be able to handle large numbers. But we are not ready to jump into Tiger only technology this early. The biggest slow down would be during launch, as we load the entire database, all these large collection speed issues will be addressed by core data. You will find most of the program very efficient, data is loaded as needed. For example the cover image view, only images currently in view are loaded.
Last edited by Conor on Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
maxicek
Inductee
Inductee

Post by maxicek »

I have about 3300 cd's in CDPedia, and it take about 40 seconds to start up (I'm using a G4 Powerbook). Takes fairly long to re-sort (when selecting a different sort column) as well. I need to add about another 1000 cd's to get our entire existing collection in, but fear for the speed of the program! I will be eagerly awaiting the jump to a Tiger only system, as I'm sure my husband is not going to stop buying cd's anytime soon :)))