How to import my DVDPedia backup?

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
qezcroy

How to import my DVDPedia backup?

Post by qezcroy »

Hello. I recently did a clean install of Leopard and backed up my DVDPedia titles. However, now that I have DVDPedia on my Leopard machine, I am unable to import my files. I have a number of .xml files - autofill.xml, info.backup.xml, and info.xml. If I click them, all that happens is I get a folder named autofill, info.backup, or info with no titles. If I read the files with textedit or something, I can read that all my movies and their information are in the file, but in a non-readable format. How can I get all my titles back into DVDPedia without having to re-enter hundreds of titles? Or did I screw up when backing up?

Thank you very much....
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

To place the files back into DVDpedia, place them in the DVDpedia folder while DVDpedia is not running. You will find the folder in your Home folder at ~/Library/Application Support/DVDpedia. Because you have already run DVDpedia on Leopard there will be some files there but they should be rather small as they are the empty files. Remove the files there to another folder as a precaution (you could replace them, but it's best to have more files than you need) and then add your backup autofill.xml and info.xml (info.backup.xml is not necessary) to the folder. You should also add the "Covers" folder if you have it. The covers can be downloaded again but it saves you that step. Launch DVDpedia and you should be ready to go.

These are the files for the old version, with Leopard we recommend the new 4.0 version. Once you have your backup data in DVDpedia, take a look at our website to download the latest version. Among many of the changes in 4.0, one is that is uses a file called Database.pediadata instead of the the info.xml which is now double-clickable as you expected.
qezcroy

Post by qezcroy »

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. I was beginning to think I had totally messed up when backing up everything. It worked so easily and everything is back where it is supposed to be....