Readerware import

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
sbleyl

Readerware import

Post by sbleyl »

Hi,
I searched the forum but didn't explicitly see whether you can import a Readerware library.

I have a DVD library of over 2500 titles and would like to transfer to DP.

Anyone done this?

Thanks
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Do a CSV delimited export from Readerware and that can be imported into DVDpedia. You can even import the images by selecting "image filename" as one of the export fields. Readerware exports the actors as single columns for each one, where DVDpedia expects them all on the same column. So don't worry about importing those, you can download the information again in DVDpedia by using "Get More Info" and selecting the site that Readerware got the information from such as IMDb or Amazon. If most of your movies came from Amazon don't worry about importing the cover images but run the "Download Cover Art" command under the advance menu as Readerware keeps only small thumbnails. Run it on a selection of all the movies that have ASIN by displaying the ASIN column and sorting it. The larger version of the covers are especially good for the full screen and cover view.
sbleyl

Post by sbleyl »

Thanks for the detailed reply. I will give it a try. For the price, I can't go wrong.
sbleyl

Post by sbleyl »

As follow up, the import from readerware went really well. It did take a little manual time to edit the more obscure DVDs not on Amazon, but the vast majority came out better than before after using the 'get more info' function.

It was almost true that the less info I sent over the better, with Amazon providing the cover image and everything else.

This is my father-in-law's library and I like DP much better. Its easier for him to add new DVD's, especially ones where the UPC doesn't pull it up easily. I already have the website up for the rest of the family to browse the collection.

The only request I would have is more flexibility in the columns on printing (may there is a way to change these that I haven't found).

Thanks again.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

That is all excellent news. For printing there is an option that says custom columns. This will print the exact column you are currently displaying on the table and with the width ratio preserved. If your talking about one of the template prints you can change the template by opening it in a text editor. You will find information on working with templates in the included help, on our support page and here at the forum.